• 2 cups flour
• 1½ cups wheat bran
• ¾ t fine salt
• 1½ t baking powder
• ¼ t baking soda
• 1½ cups dark-brown sugar
• 1¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
• 11 tablespoons unsalted butter melted & cooled
• 2 large eggs
• 1 T finely grated orange zest
• 2 t vanilla extract
• 1½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries (or raspberries)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
2. Place flour, bran, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Stir in sugar and set aside.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs, orange zest, and vanilla in a large bowl.
4. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Gently stir in cranberries.
5. Divide batter among lined muffin cups. Bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Turn out; serve warm or at room temperature. Makes about 2 dozen small muffins.
*NOTES: real buttermilk works best in this recipe. Powdered buttermilk does not yeild as moist of a muffin. A better substitute is milk soured with vinegar, but even this wasn't quite as good as the real thing. I have also substituted 1/2 cup plain yougurt for the eggs due to Little Red's allergy and they are still good.