These are some of the tastiest egg-free, whole wheat muffins I've ever had! They crumb is light and not gummy like so many egg-free muffins. They have a great blend of spices and just the right hint of sweetness. Adapted from this recipe: http://joythebaker.com/2014/09/vegan-banana-pecan-muffins/
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
For Flax Seed Egg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Muffins
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans (optional)
- 2-4 T dark brown sugar
- 1 T margarine (I used dairy-free margarine)
For the Streusel Topping
- First make the flax seed egg. In a small bowl stir together ground flax seeds, water, and baking powder. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pans with non stick spray. (This recipe made about 12 regular size muffins and 12 mini muffins for me).
- Mash bananas in ziplock bag with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, flax eggs, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, and oil until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the pecans. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until no flour bits remain at the bottom of the bowl.
- In another bowl mix the oats, nuts, brown sugar. Then cut in the margarine using a pastry cutter.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups in the prepared baking pan. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of streusel topping. Bake for 9-10 minutes for mini muffins, 18-20 minutes for regular size muffins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for few minutes before putting on a cooling rack to cool completely.