Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Baked Brown Rice

The main way I cook brown rice.  It does require longer, prep but the rice cooks up so nicely not like soggy brown rice. I always make a 9x13 pan size, and freeze half of it for a later meal.  Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

3 cups brown rice
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water (if using water, add 1 teaspoon salt)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 glass* baking pan. Place the rice in the prepared pan and pour in the liquid. Stir to equally distribute the rice. Cover tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.  I like to check it after 1 hour, peeking at the bottom to make sure it’s not burning.  Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before removing the aluminum foil and fluffing with a fork.


*If your rice still has a bit of liquid on the bottom or conversely, if it is dried out, adjust the baking time up or down to make changes.  I like to use a glass pan so I can check on it before fluffing it.  One hour and fifteen minutes is usually perfect in my oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment