• 1 cup (16 tablespoons, 8 ounces) butter, softened
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 2 cups (15 ounces) light brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup white whole wheat flour
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup (5 ounces) malted milk powder or whole milk powder (do not substitute nonfat dry powdered milk)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 36 to 40 Oreo or other chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped--keep a few (like 1/4 cup in reserve)
• 2 cups (12 ounces) milk chocolate chips (can use semi-sweet, but for this recipe milk chocolate really is superb)
1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or silicone liners.
2 In a large bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar with the paddle attachment until well combined.
3 Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until the color lightens and the batter is fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
4 In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, malted milk powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
5 Fold in the most of Oreos and chocolate chips.
6 Roll the dough into 1 1/2- 2 tablespoon size cookie dough balls. Sprinkle a few of the chopped oreos on the top of each cookie. Place them several inches apart on baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden but the centers are still soft.
Don’t get too eager crushing the Oreo cookies in preparation for the recipe. They should be coarsely chopped – not pulverized – so you can get a nice taste of real, live pieces of Oreo cookie inside the chocolate chip cookie.