*Note this is one of my husband's favorite traditions and recipes that his mother always made. She said that she loved to fill the kids up with something fun & hearty before they went out trick-o-treating.
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 T oil
• 1-2 lbs. ground beef
• 2 T soy sauce
• 2 T brown sugar
• 1 4oz. can mushrooms, drained
• 1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
• 1½ cups cooked rice
• 1 8oz. can sliced water chestnuts.
• 1 small pumpkin, cleaned thoroughly & with a painted face.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pan, sauté onion with oil. Brown the ground beef. Drain off grease.
3. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, brown sugar, and soup. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add cooked rice and water chestnuts.
4. Spoon mixture into pumpkin, put lid on, then put the pumpkin on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until the pumpkin is tender.
5. Serve on Halloween for a hearty yet festive meal before trick-o-treating.