This is the perfect breakfast for cold winter mornings for a crowd or for a brunch. Half the recipe in a 9x9 pan for a delicious and special breakfast (or breakfast for dinner) treat. The raspberries make it great for Valentine's Day! I'm not sure if I like this raspberry version or the blueberry pecan version best. They're both sooooooo yummy! Adapted from Six Sisters Stuff. Prep time: 8 hours, Cook time: 40 mins. Serves: 8-12
• 12 slices french bread or texas toast (I like to use 50% whole wheat french bread)
• 6-7 large eggs
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie seasoning
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 2 cups of frozen raspberries (about 10 ounces)
• ¼ cup butter, softened
• ½ cup packed brown sugar
• ½ cup white whole wheat flour
• ½ cup chopped roasted almonds (optional)
1. Grease a 9x13" baking dish. Arrange the bread in two layers, with six slices of bread on each layer. You can fill in any big gaps with other piece of bread.
2. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk. Whisk until blended (but not too bubbly).
3. Pour the mixture over the french toast, making sure to cover them evenly, as well as in between the slices as well.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and place a couple of small bags of rice or beans on top to help press down the bread. Refrigerate for 8+ hours (or overnight).
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle with raspberries.
7. In a small bowl, cut in butter, flour, and brown sugar until completely incorporated and crumbly. Sprinkle over french toast. Sprinkle almonds on top (optional).
8. Bake 35-40 until slightly puffy and golden. I like to increase the oven temperature the last 5 minutes to about 425 so the top is really nice and golden.