• ½ lb. to 1 lb. of ground beef*
• 16-20 ounces of spaghetti sauce (1 jar)
• 2 cups of dry whole-wheat macaroni or penne
• 12 oz. Cottage cheese
• 1-2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Cook macaroni and set aside.
2. Brown ground beef* (add onion if desired). Then add the spaghetti sauce to make a meat sauce.
3. Layer in a glass 9x13 dish: macaroni, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, meat sauce. Repeat.
4. Bake at 350˚F for 30 minutes uncovered.
*Lately I always add 1/4 cup cracked wheat to every one pound of ground beef I cook. I just add it with the onions as the meat is browning. It makes the dish a bit healthier and one pound of meat feeds our family for twice as many meals.
This dish freezes well. Just cover with foil and freeze. Thaw at least 24 hours before baking if possible. If it is still a little frozen when you put it in the oven you may have to increase baking time.